The creamy texture and rich taste of cashew butter makes a delightful, dairy-free, low-fat dip and salad dressing ––perfect for parboiled vegetables or tossed green salads. Look for unsalted, unsweetened cashew butter in natural foods stores or make your own.
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted, unsweetened cashew or cashew macadamia nut butter
- 1/2 cup warm filtered water
- 1 tsp finely ground, unrefined sea salt
- 1/4 cup cold filtered water
- 3 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar or 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced scallions/green onions
- 2 tbsps minced fresh dill or 2 tsp dried dill weed
- 2 tbsps minced fresh chives or 2 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp wet or dry mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper or other seasoning to taste
- If you’re opening a new jar of nut butter, do not discard the oil on top; blend the entire contents of the jar in a food processor or a bowl with a sturdy spoon. If you’re not making a triple batch, return the mixture to the original jar and refrigerate the unused portion. Dissolve the sea salt in warm water then mix it with 1/2 cup nut butter until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and purée in a blender, a food processor, or in a bowl with a whisk or immersion blender until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides. Pour into a clean jar, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or freeze for 1 to 2 hours, until thick, before serving. Mixture will thicken when chilled. If too thick, stir in water 1 tablespoon at a time. Freeze what you don’t plan to use within 2 weeks and refrigerate the rest
The dip or dressing will last for 2 weeks in your refrigerator or for several months in the freezer.