Leeky Potato Galette with Sunflower Crust
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Filling and Assembly
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Olive oil more for drizzling
- 2 large leeks, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 5 tablespoons coconut milk
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- Extra flour (for surface)
- 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped dill, divided, plus sprigs for serving
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced (I also tried this recipe using parsnips, yum)
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- Pulse sunflower seeds in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add flour, salt, and sugar and pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse just until a coarse meal forms. With motor running, gradually stream in ½ cup ice water and process until dough comes together. Transfer dough to a work surface; form into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Do Ahead: Dough can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Heat 1 Tbsp. coconut oil in a small skillet over medium-low. Cook leeks, stirring occasionally, until softened but without taking on any color, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Mix goat cheese, coconut milk, and garlic in a medium bowl to combine; season with salt and black pepper.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll out 1 piece of dough on a lightly floured surface to an 8" round; transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using an offset spatula, spread one-quarter of goat cheese mixture over dough, leaving a 1" border. Scatter 1 Tbsp. dill evenly over, then top with a thin layer of potato slices. Drizzle with oil; season with salt. Scatter one-quarter of leeks over potatoes. Fold edges of dough over filling, tucking and overlapping slightly as needed.
- Repeat with remaining dough, goat cheese mixture, chopped dill, potatoes, and leeks and more oil and salt to make 3 more galettes. Brush top of dough with egg.
- Bake galettes until crusts are golden brown and potatoes are soft, 30–40 minutes. Drizzle with honey (optional) and top with dill sprigs.; season with salt and black pepper.
Filling and Assembly
Recipe adapted from bonappetit.com . Photo credits to bonappetit.com