This project of The Yisrael Family Urban Farm is a collaborative effort with Soil Born Farms, area residents, non-profits, community groups and businesses that harvest surplus fruit and vegetables from backyards and small orchards and donate it to local residents and local food assistance agencies to feed the hungry.
Harvest Sacramento germinated from a seed planted by two area residents, Mary McGrath and Robin Aurelius, who were pained by the sight of rotting oranges piled in the streets of East Sacramento every spring. A grassroots campaign to harvest oranges in the McKinley Park area engaged over 30 volunteers and donated about 3000 pounds of fresh citrus to the Sacramento Food Bank in early 2009. From this success it was apparent that with more organization and effective outreach, substantial contributions of fresh fruit and vegetables throughout the entire year could greatly enhance the offerings of local food assistance agencies. With the continued support of the founding and new volunteers, Soil Born Farms has taken a lead role in tending this young seedling that we know as Harvest Sacramento. The true strength, longevity and effectiveness of this project will be directly proportional to the level of direct community involvement, so please support us by volunteering a few hours of your time.
Harvest South Oak Park provides opportunities for volunteers to engage in direct and tangible service to their community, and we believe in its benefits:
- Work and gather with new people
- Celebrate the bounty of harvests through community meals and potlucks
- Provide the opportunity for those in need to support themselves and gather some of their own food
- Teach residents how to grow, cook and preserve their own food
- Don't let your extra fruit go to waste or become a mess! Contact us for information on how you can offer your extra fruit for the hungry, or pick yourself and donate to an organization near you. About 1 in 10 people in our community receive food assistance, and your fruit can make a nutritious difference.
Want to help?
- Visit our Volunteer pages and join in!
email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
phone: (916) 800-1071