Jump to recipe
By: Judith Yisrael Ι January 26, 2018
The warm healing spices of garlic, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder are the perfect combination for the cooler months. The warmth of these spices will fill our homes and bodies as we get cozy with our big blankets, warm fires, and soft sweaters.
The star of this hearty winter dish are the sweet potatoes. The tender sweetness of the potatoes add a balance with the richness of the spices. The potatoes add quality protein and substantial quantities of vitamins A, B, and C, while the pungent spices stimulate the immune system and increases circulation.
Double the recipe if feeding a crowd, or save and meal prep for leftovers during the week. Leftover chili are delicious on tortilla chips garnished with fresh onion, olives, lettuce and guacamole. Leftovers can also be made into Shepherd's Pie or enchiladas.
Sweet Potato Chili
1 hour, 10 minutes
garnishes can include: Cilantro, fresh onion, sliced avocado, olives, hot sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano (or 3 tablespoons of fresh)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled, cut into cubes
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 2 cups chopped spinach, kale (or other winter greens in my garden)
- salt to taste
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat until warm. Add the onion and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno, garlic, oregano, chili powder, cumin, coriander, and turmeric about 1 minute stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes, cacao powder, broth, beans and sweet potatoes. Bring to a simmer and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Add the winter greens and simmer until greens are tender. Add salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls with garnish.
© 2022 www.yisraelfamilyfarm.net